It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:55 am

Kit bike. HUC. 
Getting stuck in

Post Kit bike. HUC.
Hi all,i havent been on for a while,but heres some stuff im busy with at the moment. HUC's. People critisice HUC's as being kit bikes,but so what,so are Spondon's Harris' etc and nobody calls them.

Fairly standard chop thing. Im busy thing the exhaust out,and have an idea or two,so more on that when i make a start. :)

Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:49 pm
Getting stuck in

Post Re: Kit bike. HUC.
Next up,this ones going to an exile style chop. Blasted satin alloy with black paint. Boring....lol.
Its going to have a 7x17 split rim in the rear with a ktm wire wheel up front.
The handlebars are not staying!

Ive started making a few things for this. ive made a start on an inlet manifold for an SU carb and Ive made a start on the exhausts.
For this.

Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:57 pm
Getting stuck in

The exhaust for this one is going to be a mr turbo style thing. Ive made a start on the 1st 2 pipes. All welds are going to be ground off to make perfectly smooth.

The pulley wheel propping the carb in position is from the chop that was on the cover of BSH a month or two ago,built by my good mate Robbie (NSU chop). The supercharger set up is now mine as the NSU was chopped up.
It wont fit in there!

Last edited by dixiethedog on Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:01 pm
Getting stuck in

Next up,a drag style HUC. This is going to have an FJ1200 motor.

Im planning on chopping the HUC axle plates out and making my own in a style like this.
This will allow me to raise the ride height and use a new Star racing propipe. Or a turbo?

The next one will be a "proper chopper" with metal flake and chrome. :D

Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:08 pm
Getting stuck in

The black one at the top has a new oil cooler to be fitted,as the original one is horrible. We've done wiring and a few more bits on this bike today,so will update when I have more pics. :)

Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:15 pm
post whore

Seems like I am the first one, who has to admit, that he likes those HUC-frames... unfortunately, there's no legal way to register them overhere. I do follow Rob's blog and I already wondered, what happened to the NSU-chop, because all of a sudden, there were no more updates, what a pity.

Not sure about the single SU-carb, but please post some updates on how the engine behaves... in theory it should end up being awfully sluggish and not willing to rev, but all theory is gray, y'know ?

Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:39 am
Profile ICQ
Getting stuck in

Thanks for comments nanno. The SU carb idea has and is working fine on a couple of my friends bikes,one a gpz11 engined z650,with no issues. I realise the SU cos of its design is a "slow" carb with reactions,but i fancy trying it out. If it doesnt do what it should,i'll stick a weber twin 40 on. :)
Robbie cut the NSU up after he decided he didnt like the finish on the frame. :lol: I was chatting with him,and I mentioned i thought when the supercharger was coming off,leccy charging system and leccy start etc being fitted,he must have had a buyer. But no,boredom,and angle grinder etc took over.
However,you should see what he's doing now! He was up at mine last week to see what parts i had,and took a garrett turbo away...

Personally,i think the build quality is top notch on the frames,BUT,the frames sit too low,the angle of the down tubes i think should have been matched to the donor bike frame (whether blandit or gsxr etc),to allow you to use things like exhaust headers from the donor. If i had a jig,id use a HUC frame as my bases for a starting point,and then just alter a few angles.
The idea that they are a kit,is a little misleading in my mind,as you need to have access to some decent equipment to make things go together. As an example,you go try to find an exhaust that will fit.......(unless you go buy a HUC one at 295 quid!).
But i do think they can be done,and hopefully look cool.
Failing HUC's,ive 3 efe's,some zeds,a couple of FJ12's etc etc etc for fightering up. :D

Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:21 am
post whore

Talking of Rob's... a V12-Jag-engined bike perhaps ? :mrgreen:

Yeah, the frame's very low indeed. Which would be a bit of a let down for me as well, that said, I like the line of the rigid rear end, as it goes down beautifully from the headstock to the tail in just one straight line.

Twin-Webers are cool as f*ck... I once thought about building a bike with twin SUs, but it never happened.

Talking of one-off frames, I am led to believe, that it would be easier to just build a nice hard tail and weld that to a Z/GPZ frame (my memories of the bandit-frame are a bit blurry, it's been a while that I've sold mine). Then you could simply use the original swingarm to position the rear wheel and the handling wouldn't be too odd.

No need for apologies, if it's aircooled and oldskool AND MOST IMPORTANTLY floats your boat, that's what it's all about from my perspective, to make it fit this place. (If you happen to blow or turbo it, even more so, but this definitely is not a must...)

Cheers,
Greg

Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:21 am
Profile ICQ
Getting stuck in

The V12 has been lets say put on hold. Robbie is doing a stainless steel framed (wrap around style)turbo fj12 chop with the wheels from the V12 fitted front and back. So it should be like a steam roller!
To fit in better here,I should do a gsx efe chop. Although to waste an engine might be taken as sacrilage!
Ive a spare Gpz750 uni trac that is going to be cannibilised for chop building,so that will keep things air cooled,as will my FJ12 HUC.
I then need to find somewhere to put the supercharger set up from the NSU.....

Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:18 pm
Getting stuck in

nanno wrote:
Seems like I am the first one, who has to admit, that he likes those HUC-frames...

i have one - its too low too short and not enough rake, in my opinion anyway

welcome back Brett, i think ive found somebody that will make me a plenum.im still trying to come up with a shape to fit in the extremely limeted space at the back - another design flaw in HUC frames since they all have trouble finding and fitting the pod type filters too that dont fit as the back bone is too close (the extra length the frames need could be rectified here)

Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:24 pm
Getting stuck in

Hello Dan,nice to be back.

A bit more today,this for number 2 bike,the one with the split rim on the rear/wire wheel on the front. I think?

I really need to make some exhaust flanges etc to bolt things to the head before i go any further. Trying to hold 3 pipes,one of which isnt welded,together to work out angles of dangle etc is frustrating.
I also need a new welding helmet,as the close the eyes and hope for the best,isnt constructive to a good finish. But,the welds will all be ground off.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:28 pm
Getting stuck in

The frames have a few flaw's in my estimation as well. They are too low,this is one reason for my FJ12,im cutting the rear axle plates off and doing dragstyle upright billetty things. And using a 240/18 tyre. I would have made the down tubes the same angle as the donor,to allow you to use the exhausts etc,but hey ho,there you go. They arent really kit bikes,when you realise how much thought and work is needed to finish one. Not dissing other things such as Harris' Spondons et al,but with those you really can use the donor bike to it entirety.
Once im done with the ones ive got,Im going to have a rethink on my chop ideas........"Robbie,knock me up a big tube wrap around chop frame please to take a draw thru'd GSX1260EFE engine please.....????...."

Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:36 pm
Getting stuck in

Stonking stuff. Thought I recognised that blower setup. Bit hard to miss with that huge belt drive. :D

Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:39 pm
Well involved

Somewhere in the shed i have a manifold for fitting two twin webers on a oil gixxer engine (came of a sidecar racer)

Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:49 pm